My 5 Favorite Games For My 3 Year Old

1. Brooke Haas says:

Why I've yet to buy my daughter a board game, I'll never know. She turned 3 in October and I have NO clue but it never crossed my mind! BUT… because of this post I'm going to buy her some TODAY! I love playing games, you don't even know how excited I am to play some this weekend. Thank you! Also, our daughters would totally be BFFs. lol have a great weekend!

• Hooray!!! And some of these games are super cheap too. I think I also got her chutes and ladders and candyland for maybe 5 each at Target? Same with Cootie. They are great!

Abigail is VERY friendly. She would definitely be up for a new bff!

2. I got her candyland earlier this year and that one still hasn't really taken off yet. She likes getting the "special" cards, but not much else ๐Ÿ™‚

She really, really loves pretty pretty princess. It's a great game! The Cinderella version has a clock tower instead of the black ring, and the game pieces are little high heels. It's so cute!

3. hello erin says:

ok. i'm officially SO excited for lex to get a tad older so we can start playing games too!! pretty pretty princess was totally a fav growing up. SO its a definitely MUST HAVE!

• Yes! 3 was a big turning point for us as far as playing games goes. She probably could have played some of these a little sooner, but she definitely understands the rules more now ๐Ÿ™‚

It is absolutely a must have!!

4. Oooh thanks for these! I'm sure my daughter would love some if these games!

5. Margaret says:

Even a Gma can use these suggestions – thanks Courtney! And I LOVE that you link them to Amazon – a woman after my own heart:).

6. Carrington says:

Lincoln got chutes and ladders and Candyland for Christmas so I may have to get him some of these for Christmas! Great ideas! And you're right, the game playing age is so much fun!

• I got Abigail both of those around her birthday and she just hasn't quite caught on to them yet. I really love both of those games and know we'll play them more in the future, but right now these are the ones we play most. I'm sure he would love them!

7. Paulsen Mommy says:

Oh my gosh, I don't know how I haven't bought my girls Pretty, Pretty Princess yet. Going to have to make a Target run and grab one for the girls. Thanks!!

• I feel like this game was kind of hard to find! I haven't seen it in stores anywhere. My mom got Abigail her's for Christmas. There were a bunch on eBay and then through those sellers on amazon.

Which I find really surprising and kind of odd because it is a great game and I would think sells really well?

8. Rachel says:

My family has always been a game-playing family. One of my sisters, Anna, was so addicted to Candyland back in the day that she would play it by herself or with her stuffed animals: very conscientiously and according to all of the rules. I remember playing lots of those memory matching games with my siblings, and chutes and ladders was one of my favorites when I was little!
    Now we really like Apples to Apples, which the 7 year old plays too, even if she doesn't entirely understand all the words and cultural references (hey, even I don't understand all the cultural references!)

• Ha! Abigail and I have already incorporated playing with her animal friends. It's a lot of fun patiently waiting for my turn while teddy and bunny go first ๐Ÿ˜‰

We like apples to apples too! Maybe I should write a post about some of our favorite grown up people games sometime ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Ashley P says:

I can't wait for Ellie to get older to play games!! I love that you are teaching her game rules and appropriate game playing behaviors/expectations (taking turns and how to lose!) Sometimes these are characteristics that go forgotten (so as a teacher, thanks for keeping it up)!!

• It's actually surprisingly hard when you're the only playing with her{unless we're counting seahorse…and bunny…and lambie..} to not let her skip ahead or wait her turn. It makes the game a lot longer and it would be a lot easier to let her play however she felt like it, but yes, I think they are very valuable skills that take time to be instilled! So, we're working on it ๐Ÿ™‚

10. It must be so much fun to play games together as a family. I can't wait to do that! I love Pretty Pretty Princess as a kid and I love any matching game. I have to start collecting some games!

11. Anonymous says:

I highly, highly recommend Hungry, Hungry Hippos. My son (turned 3 in Nov), spends so much time with that game. Also, a Go Fishing game (I know Toys R Us has a Barbie version with jewels instead on fish)

• Yes! Hungry hungry hippos is a good one! It's just not one of her favorites yet. She got it for Christmas so we haven't broken it in yet as much as some of the others.

I admit, I cringe in fear at all the little balls spilling everywhere{lookin at you too, high ho cherryo} but I'm sure we'll be playing with it a lot soon ๐Ÿ™‚

12. oh my! i played cooties AND pretty pretty princess ALL THE TIME! and shoots and ladders. i loved that one. later my husband and i played an adult version called shots and ladders. that didn't end well. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Marla says:

We've been playing games quite a bit lately….and I'm always on the lookout for a new fun one. I'm excited to try a few of these!

Pretty Pretty Princess. Ah! I remember those days! ๐Ÿ™‚

15. We love Cootie! Lily and I just played it today. Surprisingly, with 2 girls, we don't own Pretty Pretty Princess. I need to put that on my list of things to buy!

16. Jenny says:

Your daughter is simply beautiful! I'm a new follower from the little things link up! I love this post about games to play. My daughter is almost two so i'm book marking these for when she's older but I'm pretty sure that minnie mouse game would already be a hit (she's LOVESSS minnie!). Looking forward to future posts!

• Aw, thanks Jenny ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm so, so glad you are here!!

I bet she would LOVE the Minnie game already. The cards are really fun to look at and I'm sure she could find matches by looking at them face up! It would be so fun!

17. Dawn M says:

Oh, I love your little corner of the internet! You and your family are so adorable!! I'm so sorry you are having trouble with #2, but you are doing a kickass job with the one you have!!

So, my 4 year old loves eye spy AND Busytown!! I never knew there was a game though! I have been trying to find another way to do eye spy besides Where's Waldo!

Did you meet your husband through another homeschooling activity? I think that is so neat! What does SWMO stand for?

Love from #SITSBloggin

• Hey, Dawn! Thank you for the sweet, sweet compliment ๐Ÿ™‚

The busytown game would be perfect for a 4 year old! I bet he would love it!

I did. My husband and I participated in a sports program with a local Christian school. They were too small to compete on their own, so they let homeschoolers play as well so their team would be big enough! Jim was the quarterback and I was a cheerleader ๐Ÿ™‚

SWMO= South West Missouri!