New Home Tour: The Downstairs

1. Thank you for the gazillion pictures!! I adore your house! It's so charming and i love your vision for it. Good call with the white – everything looks so BRIGHT. Your windows are gorgeous and I love all of the personality your home has. Can't wait to see the projects as you start to tackle them. I'm also curious about this skim coating you speak of – never heard of it and it gives me hope for the house hunting we're doing because soooooooo many homes are covered in wall paper. Congrats again on this dreamy place 🙂

2. Oh my gosh I LOVE this house! !!!!
    Living room suggestion for the built in- we all love the golden chair- if you can handle it there's your color.
    I made a built in in my home and it's painted the same as my living room. I am an eclectic colorful person so it works for me but if I ever paint again, I really don't want one have to paint that back wall 🙂

Love all of the pictures. Your house is so charming. I love the light fixtures in the kitchen & hall. 😉 so jealous of all your built-ins! Love how you styled them. Now, please don't hate me, but what if you wallpapered the backs of the shelves in the living room? I know, I know the house has a ton of painted wallpaper, but what about something fresh & cheery??

4. Liz says:

I am loving it! I hate the peeling wallpaper. I think in old homes they left the wall paper up so the walls wouldn't flake off and fall apart. So inconvenient!!! The lights are perfection, by the way!!

5. Love, love, love! We had to do the same with our TV when we moved into our house. We thought our old 42" TV was huge, then we got it into our larger living room and it looked microscopic. We ended up with a 60" and that even looks small. Your decor all goes perfectly in your house – I love it! Where did you find the baskets hanging in your bathroom? I've been looking for baskets similar to those and I love yours!

6. Paige says:

So much charm! Love the staircase and kitchen!

7. I am in love with your house!

8. Erin B says:

I love your house! I love older homes – so much character and charm and little quirks! 🙂

I'd love to hear more about what you end up doing with your sun room. I bought my first home a year ago and I have a sun room, but I cannot figure out what to do. Like yours, it isn't heated so it's FREEZING this time of year (I live in KC). It's also where I enter and exit my house most frequently so now it's turned into more of a giant mudroom. 🙁

• Thanks so much, Erin! I never used to gravitate toward older homes, but they are definitely my cup of tea now! 🙂

I'll definitely be blogging more as we fix up the sun room. We contemplated making it a mud room and using it as our main entrance/exit, but ultimately decided to use the kitchen and side door as our main entrance instead. We basically just use the sun room door if we're going out to the backyard.

I really wanted to make it our office area, but because it isn't heated + the windows(hello burglars lol) it really didn't work to put any of our computer stuff out there. SO as of right now it's just our craft/school supplies room. Who knows what it might evolve into though!

9. Yep, still obsessed with your house! And please tell me that your mail will actually be delivered through the slot in your kitchen door…?!

10. DREAMY!!!!!!!! Your kitchen and that bathroom….are. a dream. Okay, I'm in love with the swinging door between the kitchen and dining room!!! How's that for charm!! xx

11. Adri G says:

Oh what a gorgeous, GORGEOUS home!!! *allthehearteyes!*

12. I just love your new home. Love, love, love. Every little thing is just perfection, and looks so very warm and homey. Take your time with all the updates and renovations – if you're like me at all, the thought of all of them may stress you out, but you have all the time in the world to get around to them now that you are in your dream home!:)

13. All the windows! As I was scrolling through, I just couldn't help to be jealous of all that natural light. I love it all!

14. Carolyn says:

It's so pretty! And such a blank slate for doing exactly what you want! Tons of work, but tons of awesomeness when you're done! 🙂 🙂 🙂

15. So much fun to take a good look around. I say you leave the dining room. Baha ha!

I bet Jim was just so sad about having to get a new TV eh? We have a pretty huge one too, but when you have a big wally it looks funny if it's small at least that is what the guys use to buy the biggest one possible.

16. Love your house, all the little details! Can't wait to see what you do to this fantastic space. And I heart Benjamin Moore paint…we painted pretty much our entire house with that brand (It took us 5+ months to paint everything ourselves…luckily we didn't have kids so we had the time) But we basically painted every wall 4 times (most of our room had super bright/dark paint colors so it took 2 coats of primer to get rid of the color, before we could start on painting it the colors we have now…I feel for you. Some of the rooms had wallpaper and we paid someone to get rid of it for us, lol. We tried and it took us 6 hours to peel 1 foot of wall…we gave up.

17. Carrie says:

Beautiful!! I love the Windows above the kitchen sink. Makes it seem so bright open.

18. brittany says:

ahhh I love it!!! seriously full of charm and beauty!!! also I am pretty sure our kitchen is painted over wall paper!! i'm sure some future owner years down the road will love that but for now you can't tell ha!

19. Sarah says:

What a gorg house! Also, I'm super impressed that you're unpacked and things are in such order already! Well done, mama!

20. I just adore this home for yall!!! So you still feel like you're living in a bit of a dream?!

21. Some much goodness! Im so sad for you that that isnt wainscoting in the dining room, what a cruel joke. Everything looks so beautiful, Courtney!

22. Laurie Scardina says:

So much character and it looks so amazing!!!!

23. Ok, so I saved this post for last because I knew I was going to spend a long time looking at all the photos. I am in love and have so many things I am swooning over. I'm all over those wood floors throughout!!!

Entryway: I know it's only a picture but I think I like the lighting fixture!!

Living room: those buildings are so awesome, I almost want to continue them on the other side of the fireplace. The bay window area has to be one of my favorites AND the fact that there is an overhead light in the living room – that's basically unheard of in so many homes!!!!

Dining room: I don't hate it but one nice thing about having the red painted over the wallpaper…you won't have to have as many coats of primer to cover that red!!!!! A farmhouse table would be so dreamy and I'm going to love it with your buffet/hutch – which I am still incredibly jealous of.

Sunroom: a dream room for my dream house! Although I agree it needs a lot of work. I'm living how the outlet plates are about 60 shades darker than the walls…. But those doors and those windows, Fantasic.

Kitchen: pretty much what's not to love…the new wall color is the best and I am all about schoolhouse lights! I want them so bad in Ellie's bathroom and our hallway. And that oven/range is to die for. It's going to be such a nice space and with the addition of an island….you're never going to want to leave. I especially love the window next to the sink, can't tell you why but it might be my favorite.

Guest room: oh to have a guest room would be a dream. I love that you already have it set up with a bed and everything!!!

Bathroom: that mirror has me. As does the lighting fixture. I can't believe it's just a bathtub- how funny these older homes are!!

Ok that was just about as ling as your post!! Oops

24. Marla says:

Love it all!! Such a beautiful home! Can't wait to see all you do!

25. oh my gosh, i love it all! that bathroom is totally lovable, and your kitchen is so lovely and i just love it all! seriously. and the mabel's arm photobomb is the cutest.

26. Oh my gosh! I want to hate you but really I'm just insanely jealous of your GORGEOUS house!!!! No joke. Courtney, it's amazing! I LOVE it! One day (ONE DAY!!!) I will have a house of my own and I'll need you to come decorate! I love what you did with those built ins in your living room! (oh and I love everything else too!)

27. I LOVE your new home and I think you guys are doing a beautiful job decorating it! I'm a big fan of people taking their time filling their homes with meaningful pieces that they love over filling it all up with stuff right away, know what I mean? making a house a home takes time 🙂

28. Jessica G. says:

So much character in your new home! I love it. Your kitchen literally had me drooling. I love how bright it is.

29. Vanessa says:

HOLY MOLY, it's beautiful! So bright and full of character. And I pretty much want to marry that bathroom…

30. Your house has me swooning. Seriously. And I cannot wait to see what you have in store with your updates and such.
    In other news – what the hell were the previous owners thinking about all that wallpaper and paint?! Oy.

31. JLynn Justad says:

How exciting for you to have such a beautiful home and all these fun projects planned to make it exactly your own. I just love it. Can't wait to see all you do! It's so difficult to choose one particular space because the whole thing (upstairs included) is just. breathtaking! The character of this home is something I hope to find when we take the buying a home plunge one day 🙂 I think I'm going to go with the bathroom too though. I don't know, that kitchen is gorgeous. Ya know, I really love the layout of your home as a whole. The whole thing is just amazingly gorgeous, gf! xx