Our Summer Learning Schedule

1. Laura Keenan says:

You are on it! I love Abigail’s desire to learn! Liam has some work he needs to do on our computer in anticipation of Kindergarten in the fall. First day he sat down to do it, I realized he didn’t know how to use a mouse! It was a proud moment (yay for a limited screen time) but also a “wow, glad we are getting on this now!” He loves it & having “work” to do, as that is what I call my time on the computer. 😉

• courtneyspena@gmail.com says:

Yeah, she has never had a chance to use our actual desktop or laptop before! She has only ever used our phones/ipad, so it has been a fun change for her to use an actual mouse and keyboard!

2. Cinny says:

I’m so glad that she is interested in learning cursive! Cursive is no longer taught in schools in my area. I was shocked when I found that out. Kids still need to know how to sign their names, you know?

Also, have you heard of the “Dear America” series of books? They are a bit advanced for Abigail now, but I think I started reading them when I was around the 5th/6th grade? If you haven’t heard of them, they are written in the form of the diaries of young girls centered around certain events in US History – the Great Depression, Civil War, Titanic, Immigration, The Oregon Trail, WWII, etc.

• courtneyspena@gmail.com says:

I don’t think cursive is taught in schools around here anymore either(though, I could be wrong about that)

And I used to read the Dear America books when I was little! I can’t wait to introduce her to more of those stories over the next few years!

• Cinny says:

If you can, get the older copies, as I think they are much “fancier.” I just loved the hard covers and the silk bookmarks – I don’t think they are included in the new versions 🙁

3. Nita Ricke says:

Victoria and Joshua really loved Amelia Bedilia books you can get them in the library. We just ran across one when I was packing up some books. It might be too easy for her but she might enjoy the humor .

4. Whitney says:

What a great plan for summer! I picked up some fun alphabet sound and tracing activities at Sams, we’re working on letters, rhyming, songs, chores around the house, along with all the friendship activities with kids her age. I like that you’ve even thought of things to do in the car! I need to check out some cd options at our library. Thanks for the tip!

You are on top of things! My Connor is the same age as Abigail. He loves to read and after going to the library will read an entire chapter book in a day ? I don’t know if you’ve looked into these already, but Nancy Clancy books are really cute and age appropriate for her. And you have reminded me that I really need to find a program to work on typing at home with my kids.

6. Laura says:

Sounds like such a fun, educational summer! I remember that Mickey typing program from when I was learning to type!

7. brittany says:

i love everything you share on eduction… official or casual! and i forgot about adventures in odyssey!!!!!!! omg!!!!!